- Hide menu

Cornwall 2016 Part 1

So I had this mad idea, it was an idea at least but still mad and quite mad by a lot people’s standards. I set myself the task of walking ? the 25 miles or so from Lizard point to Penzance. Not so mad really but add the fact that I had never done it before and also I would start at midnight, so walking in the pitch black. You see now why people think I’m mad or it was a mad idea.
I arrived at Penzance after grossly underestimating the weight of my bag and hurting my back before I started the trek at 7:50pm. I had bought with me two bags, one with my bivvy, sleeping bag, tarp, bed and cooking kit, the other held my tent, clothes, more substantial cooking kit as well as my laptop and other luxuries. I had arranged to store the bigger bag at West Coast taxis for £3 for the night, which they did kindly with no fuss. With a ltitle bit of time to kill, I waited for a bus the No 2 to Helston, where upon arrival I waited another hour for the No 37 to take me to the Lizard. At the Lizard, since it is the most southerly point in Britain, I contemplated the enormous task I had set myself. It was dark and closed and the only place to go was north, so I did.

It was a warm clear night and I only saw two other Humans throughout the entire night, the first was a Lady smoking a cigarette as silhouetted by the porch lights of the Pub at the Lizard. The other was driving the only car that passed me on my walk until 6am. I have to say I didn’t feel lonely or alone despite being so. I felt like my walk had a sense of purpose, like being the only person still up (even though I know I wasn’t) and everyone else I knew at the time was tucked up in bed. A night watchman.

My plan was to walk 5 miles then stop and have a coffee, so I walked through Mullion cove and village and reached a little bay just outside. It had a small beach and Moon lit up the tiny bay with a beautiful shadow on the sea. It was by far the most exciting hike I had ever done because I realised that during the day and daylight hours I would walk semi autonomously but since it was very dark, I was cautious and watched every footing. I walked across farm land and beaches. Then I came to a clearing and found a good spot to pitch my bivvy if I wanted to have a kip. I decided to carry on instead and had to walk across a beach just outside of Porthleven, that had a beautiful set of lights that had loomed tantalisingly for about two and a half hours. It was at this point I had my steepest climb onto a cliff with a huge drop. I reached Porthleven and set up camp in the town centre, drank soup and coffee. Then the Sun came up, and the Milk men and street cleaners came out and I realised through my tiredness, the night part of my walk was over. I had two choices either walk a further 12 miles to Penzance as I had planned (via an A road) or walk to Helston a further 5 miles and a call it a morning. I chose the later and got a No 2 bus back to Penzance.

Upon arrival at Penzance I went to pick up my bag and then waited for the famous No 1 bus. 45 minutes later it dropped me off at Trevedra campsite and I walked what felt like another mile to reception. The very nice Lady sent me back the way I came to an almost empty field with a shower block. I found a spot and out of nowhere a huge German Gentleman came over offered me tea. Which I declined as I just wanted to pitch my tent have a couple of hours sleep, as it was now 11 am. Once my tent was up, I laid on my bed and passed out. I woke up at lunchtime and went off to the showers. Then I walked down the cliff along the coastal path to Sennen cove and in turn a further mile to Land’s End.

Leave a Reply